Friday, February 28, 2014

Day 2 at the Iowa Genealogical Library

Yesterday I shared about my first visit to the Iowa Genealogical Society Library and today I will share my thought about my second trip.
 
I decided I needed to have a plan for this day .  This Day I wanted to take pictures of the family history of the Cone family book that turned out so blurry using the flip pal.  Secondly, I was going to look at microfilm to try to find my grandfather's birth certificate.  I might mention he has been difficult to find for a couple of reasons.  He was born in 1907 and was from a single parent.  So for the first three years he was listed as Jarrett Charles Willis and after his mother married he took the last name Pope. 
 
So again I packed the camera, Samsung Tablet, flip pal and pad and pencil.  I still had snacks in my car although from my first visit I saw they had a small area with a pop machine I could eat at.
But better still I had seen a flyer that they were offering a short class on "Funeral Home Records" during the lunch hour.  So for a small fee I paid to attend that class.  I arrived with my peanut butter crackers and bottle of pop.  It was very interesting as I had not seen records such as these  before.  If I remember correctly they have Funeral Home Records at the Albia Library so will add that on my list of documents to look through..
 
After, the class and after I had taken pictures of the Cone family book I chose a county my grandfather may have been  born in and looked at the birth as well as delayed birth certificates.  I still had my list of surnames and wrote down the information if I found any names with one of these surnames..  It took hours as the micro film was a large reel.  I did not find my grandfather but got some other names.  Again, when setting up my film I had trouble with the first machine I tried and when asked for help it was given in a kind and caring manner.
 
So after, hours I decided to stop for the day.  My fingers were tired of writing and needed a break.
 
Both days my visits were meet with wonderful and caring people and there was so much more information to look through that I had time for since I am only going to spend one more day (this time)  The next day my visit will be to the Iowa Historical Library but be  sure I will return.................... 

No comments:

Post a Comment