Saturday, June 1, 2013

My Start

     As you can tell from the title I began my life as "An Air Force Brat".  My father was a career Air Force officer.  He was a Navigator on a B-52 among other duties.  I was born in Harlingen, Texas and before I was in Kindergarten I had lived in Rapid City, South Dakota; Wichita Falls, Texas and Bossier City, Louisiana.  We lived in Bossier City through my fifth grade year and while my Dad was stationed in Vietnam.
     During my 5th grade year my Father returned from Vietnam and we moved to Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii.  We remained there until my Freshman year in High School when we moved to Offutt Air Force Base near Omaha, Nebraska.  My Dad retired while still in Omaha, Nebraska but after I had graduated from High School and was married.
     I think because we lived in so many places my parents made sure we did two things.  One was return to Iowa to visit family.  Both my mother and father were from different cities in Iowa and so we would make the rounds.  I was lucky enough to know both grandmothers, my paternal grandfather and all four of my great grandmothers.  The other thing that we did was visited museums and while in school I studied the history of Louisiana and Hawaii.  I think this emphasis on family and love of history lead to my interest in Genealogy.
      I am starting this log to share some of my adventures into Genealogy and whatever else comes to mind.  I can not promise an entry very day but this is where I will "show my homework" as I will be on the panel for Dear Myrtle's study group on the book Mastering Genealogical Proof  by Tom Jones.




No comments:

Post a Comment